Open source data recovery software for android
Data Recovery is the process of restoration of deleted data. It helps recover the corrupted or accidentally deleted data. Human errors are of no count, and you can lose your relevant data due to many reasons. Sometimes you end up deleting important files accidentally or due to some malware issues or electricity break up or some other physical damage. Today we will discuss the Top 5 Open Source Data Recovery Software, which will help you recover your relevant data. Open Source Recovery Software is entirely free, and you can choose any of them as per your needs.
PhotoRec is an Open Source File Recovery Software. PhotoRec can recover your deleted documents, archives from hard drives, files, including videos and pictures as well. It will even recover your data if your file system is damaged or reformatted.
- PhotoRec works on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Sun Solaris
- It can recover your files from pretty much every device like from your smartphone, digital camera, memory cards, CD ROMs, Microdrives, SmartMedia card, and CompactFlash card.
- It can recover, JPEG, HTML, Office, PDF, and ZIP format files
- As it is open-source, it allows you unlimited recovery completely free
- PhotoRec’s interface is not very good, a person with no technical knowledge will find it challenging to use this program
- Using the PhotoRec software if you ever encounter any issue, you will find it a hard time to get the support from PhotoRec as they have very weak or no support
TestDisk is open source recovery software and is designed to recover lost data partitions, and it can recover the FAT3 boot sector, NTFS boo sector, exFAT, and ext2 file system. It can also fix the partition and FAT tables.
TestDisk can run on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, FreeBSD, Sun OS, NetBSD, and OpenBSD.
- TesDisk is powerful and fast file recovery software; it can also fix or rebuild FAT tables
- It requires no installation; it’s the program you can use with any device like USB
- TestDisk has a command-line interface that is not suitable for new users.
FreeRecover is another powerful open source file recovery software. It can recover the files from your system and point out their original path as well. FreeRecover runs on Windows, and it is quite easy to use, you will have to tick the checkboxes: Get File Paths and Check File Integrity to have advanced control over your search.
- FreeRecover has an uncomplicated GUI interface, and a noob can also use it quite easily
- It recovers file from NTFS drives
- FreeRecover needs .NET Framework to run on your system
Recovering deleted files from your hard drive, flash drive, and your SD card with Kickass Undelete is just simple and easy.
- Kickass Undelete has an excellent User Interface
- It supports both NFTS and FAT file systems
- It has a clear and large “SCAN” button
- Recovering files from SD cards might cause some issue sometimes
- It crashes after finding undeleting files sometimes
Recoverit is not an open-source data recovery program, but it is easy and free to use. It has over 96% of the data recovery rate, and it can recover your deleted data from any device.
If you have deleted your data unintentionally or some other failure happened to your data, recovery is straightforward with Recoverit; it recovers all file types, including videos, images, PDF file format, and much more…
You can recover up to 100MB of data with its free version.
- It is straightforward to use and can recover the lost data from any device like SSD, USB drive, Hard drive, memory card, micro card, digital camera, camcorder, music player, and from any other external device
- No matter how you lost your data, either it was a computer crash or unintentional deletion of data, Recoverit will recover that data
- It only allows you to recover 100MBs of data in its free version
- You can’t rearrange its window size
- Recoverit can recover years-old files, but it can’t recover 1% of files which is acceptable
How To Use Recoverit
Step 1: Download and install Recoverit for Windows from here
Download and install Recoverit for Mac OS from here
Step 2: Type and search for the program from the windows search option
Step 3: You need to identify the location where you lost your data and want to recover it. You can choose any hard drive under the “Hard Disk” section and can choose Desktop, Folder, and Recycle bin under the “Select Location” section and then click on the “Start” button at the bottom right corner
Step 4: Recoverit will start scanning, and it will take some minutes or hours depends on the size of the file
You can also click on the “Advanced Video Recovery” button at the bottom left corner to find and recover large-sized video files
Step 5: Recoverit will show all of the lost or deleted files from the selected location, and you will have the option to preview the files before recovering those
Just click on the required file to preview the file. This is an extra step added by Recoverit to give you more control to let you identify and recover only selected files.
You can preview all types of files with the same procedure
Step 6: Click on the “Recover” button for the selected/required file, and your file will be recovered from your computer
We have discussed the Top 5 Open Source Data Recovery Software, features, pros and cons, and now we have come to our conclusion. According to us, we have found “Recoverit Data Recovery” software to be the best among all five others.
It has an excellent graphical user interface; everything is easy to use, and it has enormous features compared to others like you can recover every type of file and quite quickly and easily. Recoverit can also recover years of old files, and it allows you to recover 100MBs of files in its free version.
It also allows you to preview the file and recover the only one which you need, it allows you more control, and you can choose which file to recover and which do not.
Top 5 Open Source Data Recovery Software
Although most organizations have cloud backups like iCloud and Dropbox, it is essential to have multiple types of backups for your large and daily growing database.
One such type of backup is data recovery software. Data recovery software is a tool that reviews the storage database and scans, identifies, extracts, and assembles the data from deleted, corrupted, and formatted sectors or in a user-defined location within the storage device.
From time to time, businesses encounter endless and abrupt blunders. Data recovery software helps you in recovering your crucial data that has accidentally been altered, deleted, or made unreadable.
Be it because of hardware oversights, human error, malware, or networking issues; the data damage could cost you tenfold in lost deals and leave you with no solution.
Do not wait to learn the importance of data recovery through mistakes and errors.
Also Read: Snapshot vs. Backup: What’s the Difference Between the Two?
How Does Data Recovery Software Work?
Primarily operated and managed by an organization’s IT support and DR service providers, the data recovery software has access to the core hard disk architecture.
You can extract the data through your data recovery software. So, when the data is corrupted or deleted (even from the recycle bin), system failure, or hard disk formatting, you can quickly recover them.
The file’s data and information remain in fragments at different locations. So even if the original is corrupted or accidentally deleted, you could easily track and retrieve it with the allocation table.
It is deemed as a better practice not to write the recovered file to the same memory or drive that you retrieved the lost data from. It means, refrain from restoring files to the same partition where they were located before.
This way, any data lost due to viruses, ransomware, and spyware, system failure, or hard disk formatting can be revived flawlessly.
The data recovery covers multiple types of storage device, including:
- Desktops and Laptops
- External Hard disk drive
- Flash Drive
- Memory Cards
- Solid-state drive
Best Open-Source Data Recovery Software
Before wasting your dollars on expensive data recovery services, you must look into this entirely free open source software (FOSS) list first.
Listed below are the five best open source data recovery software available right now:
FreeRecover – Windows
FreeRecover is an easily installable open-source data recovery application that supports Windows OS. Licensed under GNU General Public License, you can start right away with just a quick download.
It has a simple search and preview deleted files process for the deleted data and generates previews and recovers deleted files from NTFS drives.
Its features include providing integrity estimates of files found and batch recovery to a directory but lacks proper sorting and options for the data information we want to locate.
FreeRecover was last updated in 2017.
Kickass Undelete – Windows
Kickass Undelete is a popular file recovery tool for Windows operating systems. The scanning and recovery process in Kickass Undelete is quick and stable.
This free and open-source software has an easy-to-use interface and supports both NTFS and FAT file systems.
Its features also include efficient filtering and sorting by file name and extension.
With Kickass Undelete, you have a good enough data recovery system with its source available to edit accordingly. Unfortunately, the software is no longer actively maintained.
Its last update was in 2018.
Also Read: Host-Based Replication: What is it and Top Software Vendors
Scrounge NTFS – Windows
Scrounge NTFS is a free and open-source data recovery program that supports Windows and POSIX compliant.
The later release version was ported to Linux/FreeBSD and with additional support for very fragmented MFTs.
Scrounge is no longer being updated but is still available for download. It reads each block of a hard disk and simultaneously rebuilds the filesystem on another end.
Created by Stef Walter, the tool is not error-free and could come across as a hard to understand the program at times.
It was last updated in 2014.
PhotRec is a more text-based user interface and uses file carving techniques to deliver data recovery services.
It’s a widely used free and open-source file recovery program to retrieve and restore deleted and misplaced files from any internal or external memory device.
It ignores the database system for the underlying data. This way, you quickly recover the lost, damaged, or reformatted files through its tools.
Sure, it has an outdated graphical user interface, and the modified Command Prompt only works with keyboard, but that does not make it any difficult to navigate or understand.
PhotoRec has a comprehensive scanning process. To recover lost data safely from a hard drive, USB, or an SD card, PhotoRec implements read-only access to process data recovery.
It can be compiled on almost any Unix system and can recover lost or highly damaged files from multiple file systems, including FAT, NTFS, and HFS+.
PhotoRec works on these operating systems –
- FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
Last updated in 2019.
Distributed under GPL (GNU General Public License v2+), TestDisk is a powerful file recovery tool that makes fixing and recovery of partition table super easy.
It recognizes a huge range of file systems and various disk partitioning schemes.
It is very much similar to PhotoRec. If you follow the instructions carefully, you can easily collect information on the data and send it to a tech for further analysis.
If you are a novice and utilizing this software by yourself, you need to be careful, or you could end up wiping your data for good.
Test disk can fix and reboot the lost data partitions and tables; namely – NTFS and FAT3 boot sector, exFAT, and ext2 file system. TestDisk is a GUI enabled tool that supports these operating systems.
- FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD
Last updated in 2019.
The above two (PhotoRec and TestDisk) robust FOSS data recovery from CG Security are packaged and provided together to download, due to their related services and utility.
The TestDisk concerns itself with recovering partitions and other diagnostic purposes.
While PhotoRec focuses more on the recovery of photos, videos, and other media files, that were accidentally deleted formatted or corrupted.
There is another version of Photorec called “QPhotoRec” that has been released since the PhotoRec and TestDisk bundle V7.0, and it comes with the Qt GUI.
A database is something that makes or breaks a firm’s development. Everything revolves around the acquired data and its safety and security.
Organizations are prone to accidents related to data. Businesses must know how to supervise their massive set of data and manage their data loss. And data recovery software becomes a mighty part of businesses’ disaster response plans.
You May Also Like To Read-
Things to Consider for Virtualization Disaster Recovery
List of 6 Best Open Source Data Replication Tools
No one wants to face the unfortunate situation of data loss. Data loss can occur due to various factors, including file corruption and power outages. On the other hand, open-source data recovery software is there to help you in this stressful scenario. We’ll go over everything you need to know about open-source data recovery and introduce you to the best open-source software.
What is Open Source Data Recovery Software
Open-source data recovery software is free to use and enables users to recover all their deleted, corrupted, or inaccessible data. They scan, review, extract, identify, and copy your data by digging into your storage device. Compared to other recovery software, open-source data recovery software fosters incredible benefits for users. For instance:
- Free to use
- Deep scan search down all the deleted or corrupted files
- Provide a preview before recovery
- Recover any sort of files or data
Although several open-source data recovery software is available, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 best open source data recovery software after reviewing most of them. Read to the last to find your best one!
Top 5 Best Open Source Data Recovery for Windows, Mac, and Linux
Data recovery software has become an essential need of digital users. Read on if you were looking for the best open-source data recovery software.
Below we’ve listed the 5 best open source data recovery software.
Let’s discuss each in detail:
1. PhotoRec (For Windows, Mac & Linux)
PhotoRec is open-source recovery software that can help you recover deleted files from pictures, videos, and many other files. The software can recover files from all storage devices, including hard disks, digital cameras, and CDs.
- Over 480 file recovery formats to choose from
- Support a variety of file systems
- Provide Custom file recovery
- The interface is confusing for many users.
I used PhotoRec, and I would say that it’s a free-to-use data recovery software compatible with every storage device. You can recover your documents, photos, videos, and many other files quickly and simply with PhotoRec. The software performs well, but it’s difficult to understand if the user is a beginner.
2. TestDisk (For Windows, Mac & Linux)
TestDisk is a free data recovery software that helps you retrieve the disk’s data and make it bootable again. It is mainly used to recover partitions lost due to malware or specific human errors.
- Quickly recover partition tables
- Repair MFT and FAT tables
- No need to install anything
- The majority of popular file systems are supported
- The interface is quite tricky to use.
TestDisk is an entirely free recovery tool that requires no installation, yet the whole recovery process is streamlined. Alternatively, the command-line interface may seem challenging, making partition recovery simpler. It fosters the recovery of hundreds of file types; hence you don’t need to worry about the file format. Whatever the file you lost, you can get it back quickly with the TestDisk.
3. FreeRecover (For Windows)
FreeRecover was released in 2013 as an open-source data recovery program that supports the NTFS file system. The user-friendly interface of the program fosters simpler and easy recovery. The software scans the locations deeply and searches for the deleted files.
- Preview your deleted files
- Advance and easy to use interface
- To run this program, you’ll need the .NET framework.
As per my experience, the software is extremely simple and easy to use. It comes with a user interface that is both simple to learn and enjoyable to use. It can also recover the original file paths of lost or corrupted files and provide integrity estimations.
Overall, if you want to get the best recovery for free, I’d recommend using it. But keep in mind that it can come with certain restrictions!
4. Kickass Undelete (For Windows)
Kickass Undelete makes your file recovery process easier. This open-source software is only compatible with windows to recover files that have been corrupted or deleted. It can recover the deleted files from SD cards, flash drives, and hard drives.
- The interface is simple to use
- Filter out your files and extensions
- Compatible with FAT and NTFS file systems
- Occasionally crashes
- Only Windows platforms are supported
After using the software recovery, I found that the program occasionally crashes after file recovery. This may be due to some errors, but it still made us conclude that software might crash as you recover your file.
Its simple and user-friendly design makes it an appealing file recovery choice for newbies. Instead of manually searching through files, you may quickly sort them by name and extension to find critical documents, but if it crashes, it may be difficult to complete the recovery process.
5. Scrounge NTFS (For Windows and Linux)
Scrounge NTFS is a free, open-source data recovery tool that works with Windows systems. Later versions were adapted to Linux and included support for highly fragmented MFTs.
- Partition recovery is available
- Work on NTFS file system
- The interface of the software is tough to understand
- Not updated yet after the last update in 2014
At first, the program was confusing for me. It might recover partition files or support NTF files, but I think the software lacks major updates per the user’s requirements.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Source Data Recovery Software
No one would recommend buying the software when they can get the same thing with the free one available. Still, when there are advantages of using free data recovery software, some disadvantages might lead to buying trustable data recovery software.
We’ve listed some of the advantages and disadvantages of the open-source data recovery software below.
- It is entirely free to use.
- Most of the open-source data recovery software is created by experts. That means there are very few chances that there would be flaws in the software.
- They are flexible to use and edit. If a user doesn’t want to use any feature, it can be removed.
- All types of data can be recovered.
- Malicious users are a threat.
- Some tools can be challenging to use because of a difficult user interface.
- There isn’t a lot of support available.
- Sometimes, the software doesn’t support the user’s operating systems.
- Normally, the tools are free to use. But, in some cases, there are hidden charges. Some tools also ask for the charges to recover the data.
Most users’ concern is their data security, and open-source recovery software might not provide it. Therefore, we’ve gathered the 10 best data recovery software to help our readers find the perfect and secure solution to their recovery problems.
Top 10 Best Free Data Recovery Software for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android
Compared to open-source data recovery software, free recovery software is more reliable for your data privacy protection. To help you find the best free alternative of open source recovery software, we’ve gathered the top 10 Best free data recovery software.
Below, we’ve explained each of the software in detail:
1. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free
EaseUS data recovery tool is the leading data recovery software that never fails to impress its users with its accessible and simple data recovery. It has incredible data recovery performance and can recover large numbers of files from various storage devices. It can easily recover data from Windows and laptops.
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free can do the following:
- Recovery of the lost data
- Storage Media Recovery
- Formatted File Recovery
- Partition Recovery
- Nas Data Recovery
Download for Win
Recovery Rate 99.7%
Download for Mac
Trustpilot Rating 4.6
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free is compatible with Windows and Mac. It also has applications for Android and iOS devices.
- Advanced Scanning Algorithm: Their advanced algorithm checks the files and then shares the list of data that can be restored. They have 2 scanning options. You can either use a quick scan or an advanced scan. Advanced scanning goes for an in-depth search and takes some extra time, whereas quick scans go for a quick and fast scan.
- Preview and Recover: Instead of recovering all the hard drive data, you can preview your desired files. If they are needed, you can recover them using a single button.
- Tag Option: Using this unique feature, you can tag your same file type to a single tag. For e.g., if you want to recover photos, tag the photos with a specific name. This helps make your process easier. You can only recover the files that are required.
- 3 Steps Recovery: Files can be restored in 3 simple steps. You have to Scan > Preview > Recover the files.
You can follow steps listed below to recover data with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free:
Step 1. Select a drive and start scanning
Launch EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and hover over the partition where you lost data. This could be an internal hard disk, external disk, USB, or SD card. Then, click “Scan”.
Step 2. Check and preview scanned files
Use the file format filter on the left or upper right corner to narrow the scan results until you find the files you need. Then, you can click the “Preview” button or double-click a file to preview its content, if you’d like.
Step 3. Recover lost data to a secure location
Click the checkbox next to the file and click “Recover” to restore the lost data to a secure place. We recommend that you do not store the recovered data on the disk where you lost it earlier.
2. Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Data Recovery is a high-end, user-friendly data recovery software available in various editions. From scanning to previewing and recovering data, the user encounters an extraordinary recovery process that appears to be streamlined and uncomplicated. It helps data recovery from DSLR, SD cards, and iPhones.
Compatible with Windows and macOS operating systems.
- Simple and user-friendly interface
- High-end scanning and file preview
- Foster disk cloning
Recuva is a simple data recovery program that can handle all the recovery tasks. It can recover an endless amount of data for free is its main advantage. Even if the data is deleted from the recycle bin of your device, it can still restore.
It is compatible with Windows only.
- Provide a preview before recovery
- An unlimited amount of data is recoverable at the same time
- Data deleted a long time ago can also be restored
4. Disk Drill Data Recovery
Disk Drill Data Recovery is the most powerful disk recovery tool with a good reputation in the IT market. It is designed specifically to recover disk files, but still, it supports the recovery of other storage devices like SD cards and USB drives.
It is specially designed for Windows and MAC.
- Introduce an advanced and modern interface
- The free version can recover more than 500 MB of data
- Lightning-fast scanning with the option to resume and stop
- A variety of file formats are supported
- Recover data from the corrupted cards as well
RecoverMyFiles interface should be enough to warn you that it’s out of date. Despite its age, it still performs admirably, particularly when recovering basic file formats from Windows discs. It can perform disk data recovery after a hard disk crash. It can also easily recover data from RAW drives.
It is only compatible with Windows and HFS+ (MAC).
- The performance is great
- The interface is efficient to use
- Recover all types of files admirably
6. Puran Data Recovery
Puran File Recovery is a tool that can help you recover your data from DVDs, CDs, damaged pen drives, and memory cards. It supports all window systems; however, it does not appear or feel like recent Windows software because it was last updated in 2013. You should still look at it because it works well on older PCs and provides satisfactory data recovery results.
The Puran data recovery is introduced for Windows users. It works well with all types of windows operating systems.
- Perfect solution for older PCs
- Specially designed to recover data from windows
- Provide easy and satisfactory recovery
7. Windows File Recovery
Windows File Recovery is the amazing recovery tool introduced by Microsoft that can recover all lost files from local storage devices that are deleted or can’t be restored. It’s explicitly the best free solution for Windows users. However, it does not support recovering files from the iCloud storage or Linux. But, based on the interface, this is not recommended for a beginner.
It’s only compatible with Windows.
- Available for all data recovery from windows
- Recover all types of data from a variety of storage devices
- Completely free to use
8. EaseUS MobiSaver for Android Free
EaseUS MobiSaver for Android Free is a trustworthy program for recovering files from your Android device. It’s the first tool that can recover your photos, messages, and music for free. You can recover the data in 3 steps. You’ve to simply connect your devices with the system, scan the device and recover the files. It can also recover data from your Memory and SD cards.
It includes a user-friendly interface that makes it simple. This remarkable tool can recover the majority of lost files. Hence it’s highly recommended if you want to recover data from your Android devices.
It is compatible with Windows.
- Preview all the required SMS, document, and photos and then recover them instead of downloading the complete data
- Export your contacts in CSV, HTML, and VCF formats
- Recover all lost files whether it is photos, videos, or any other important documents
- Recover your data in 3 simple steps
- Support more than 6000 android phones and tablets
DiskDigger can recover almost any file type. Both internal and external storage devices operate admirably with this program. It can easily recover data from Hard disks, USB flash drives, and memory cards. Even if the device is corrupted, it can still recover the data.
It’s available for Windows and Linux.
- User-friendly interface
- Retrieve almost every type of file
- Performs well in portable storage devices
- Its android app works more efficiently if the phone is not rooted
10. Apeaksoft Android Data Recovery
Apeaksoft Android Data Recovery is the Android-oriented software introduced to recover videos, photos, files, and other documents within your android. It’s the best recovery solution for android users. It is quick and safer to use. If there’s a rooting error, then it can help you restore the files.
It can recover all types of files from Windows and MAC.
- Provide deep scanning before recovery
- It supports more than 5000 devices
- The free preview is available
- It can recover data from SIM cards, internal memory, and SD card
Tips for Preventing Data Loss in the First Place
Data is always important. Sometimes, because of our busy schedules, we don’t take precautions to avoid data loss. Below are some tips to prevent your data from getting lost:
- Maintain a dust-free and clean computer.
- If your computer gets too hot, disassemble it and clean it.
- Regularly save and backup your files to multiple locations, encrypting them.
- Create a backup image before you notice any indicators of hard drive failure.
- Maintain the most recent version of your anti-virus software.
To error is human, but you can avoid the depressing data loss scenario if one has already taken preventive steps. That’s why you should come up with a backup solution to every problem before it happens.
The same applies to your data; you should back up your data regularly if you don’t want to come ahead to the unfortunate situation of losing your data.
FAQs About Open Source Data Recovery
People have specific questions to which they want a detailed answer regarding open source recovery. Below we’ve compiled the frequently asked questions; let’s look at their solutions.
1. Is Recuva open source?
Recuva is an award-winning freeware software that is not open-source. Although it can recover files from nearly any storage device, it is not classified as open-source data recovery software.
2. How to use open-source data recovery software?
The interface of every open-source data software is different from each other. Open-source data recovery software uses its powerful algorithm to retrieve the data whenever it comes to recovery. It digs out the deleted files from the location and scans them to ensure that the file is ready to go. At last, the software recovers files, and it’s up to you where you want to save your restored or recovered file.
3. What is the open-source data recovery software for Android?
There is no open-source data recovery software for Android. However, you can recover your data from your android devices while using open-source data recovery software for windows like:
After reviewing the variety of open source and accessible data recovery software, we’ve concluded that free data recovery software is more accessible than open-source recovery software. Still, these are more secure and more accessible to use. Among our top open-source data recovery software and free data recovery software list, we found EaseUS data recovery Wizard Free and EaseUS Android Data Recovery Free the best. These tools are very helpful and easy to use. They can save your time and money.
The free recovery that these tools provide really helps many individuals and businesses restore their important data.
Along with providing recovery solutions, these tools also don’t compromise the privacy protection of their users. Of course, everything will go in vain if the software does not give you a Malware-protected recovery. There’s nothing else to think about; download these free tools now.
Download for Win
Recovery Rate 99.7%
Download for Mac
Trustpilot Rating 4.6